Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An Appeal to College Students.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on November 21, 2003 at 12:50:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: An Appeal to College Students..... posted by RTP on November 21, 2003 at 03:06:34:

Robert:

Egad, sometimes some of you guys read, but fail to comprehend!

You wrote:

"I would take your friend's advice, but I think it would be safer for me to avoid posting any messages in the future."

NO ONE has implied that you need to stop posting. The whole point of the original poster was to explain that one really needs to put all relevant information in recital posts, including the name of the school and town, rather than merely the initials of the institution.

Giving only the initials of your school's name leaves us to assume things, such as WHERE the recital will take place; it assumes that we all will somehow osmotically know who you are, where you go to school, and in what town that school is located. But the majority here do not, can not just know this information; we must be told, if you want us to show up.

As to your involvement in this thread: you were not singled out by whomever made this post! It was addressed to you as well as any other student that has or will post recital information here.

Do you not agree that it is a sad waste of effort to post information about an upcoming recital and fail to tell where it will be held? Well, this has been happening regularly here for some time. If you do not believe me, search the archives for "recital" and weed through to the recent ones that are by students and you will see that many fail to tell us the name of the school or even the town; rather, they just say "I am giving a senior/junior/quintet recital and _SU. Please come." I have read many posts recently that advertise recitals that must have been held in Top Secret locations, because the student failed to think through what they were doing and assumed that we would just know which MSU, FSU, et cetera, they attended.

So, again, the original post was obviously a sincere attempt to help all of you folks that are playing recitals and posting here about it: it did not seem to me to be aimed at slamming you!

You wrote:

"I should have been more explicit."

Yes, you should never write in shorthand assuming that you audience will just "get" what you are saying; always fully write out what you mean. When you fully write out your thoughts and do not omit information, no one can fault your efforts to communicate.

You will, however, always have to worry about some hyper-aggressive dolt who carelessly scans your post and utterly fails to understand it. Because he will invariably will post a smarmy, ill-considered attack and make a fool of himself jousting with windmills.

You were fine. The other gentleman involved in this fiasco, however, needs to work on his reading comprehension and social skills.

I sincerely wish you good luck on your recital.

Wade "clarity of the verbal and written word will avoid many misunderstandings" Rackley

Follow Ups: