Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Physicals/Tests for Military Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Historian on November 25, 2003 at 19:16:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Physicals/Tests for Military Bands posted by Wade on November 25, 2003 at 15:22:35:

Wade, you don't know the half of it. I managed to keep my student deferment alive until the first draft lottery. Drew number 315 and dodged that bullet.

The rules for the draft were pretty simple. Get into serious trouble with the law and the judge could give you the choice of jail or enlistment. Flunk out of school, get drafted. Draft boards proud that they had never granted a deferment, even on CO grounds. Your friends and neighbors, mind you. A really great formula for getting the type of people you don't want in the service.

My oldest brother enlisted after school and enlisted in the Navy and went through OCS. Spent his first part of his hitch cruising around the Mediterranean on the flagship as engineering officer. Then someone talked him into getting a "command" position. Spent the rest of his service time skippering a swiftboat on the Mekong shooting incendiary shells at anything that moved. He doesn't talk about that part much.

My older brother and I went through school together. He graduated a year before me and so didn't get in on the lottery. He enlisted into the Army. Spent his entire tour of duty as a clerk-typist at Ft. Leonard Wood.

I really think that DOD, after the Vietnam experience, really doesn't want the draft reactivated any more than anyone wants to get drafted.

Chuck "knows lots of walking casualties from that little American episode" (G)

Follow Ups: