Re: "Mira 1291 Bb" Vs. "Any Top Rated Tuba"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris B on November 27, 2003 at 03:35:48:

In Reply to: "Mira 1291 Bb" Vs. "Any Top Rated Tuba" posted by Ignorant guy on November 22, 2003 at 21:12:51:

Pitch - Very accurate with little slide pulling necessary. Hard to find a bad note, even the 5th partials play in tune.

Sound - Versatile. Cross between a large horn and a small one. Can be made to sound good in small ensembles but will hold its own in orchestral settings. Very resonant.

Response through whole range - Truly amazing. Very consistent. One of the best I've ever played, and I have played A LOT of horns in the last 40 years.

ergonomics - Quite comfortable. Easy to hold without absurd lead pipe configurations. Compact design makes it a pleasure to play for long periods of time.

Value etc etc At about $5,000, one of the better buys on the market today. Get the 5th valve as it is very inexpensive. Why the silver is $1,000 more is a puzzle when the 5th valve is only about $200.

I would hold my 1291 up in comparison to any horn on the market and it would compete well. I have played the Fafner and it is impressive for its size but overall, I think I like my 1291 a bit better for its versatility. I have yet to find someone who has played it that doesn't wish they owned one. I tried every horn that Custom Music had in stock last year and a variety of others but ended up buying the 1291 and haven't looked back yet. There are other horns like the PT-22 that I liked a lot, but they do not compare if one only has enough money for a single all-purpose horn.

I don't think it takes that much air to play but it is not a horn for wimps :) It does take energy but responds well to a focused air stream and is very hard to overblow. Can shake the rafters if necesssary.

If anyone can get to Seattle, they can try mine out.

Follow Ups: