Re: Been away for a while, need some advise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on November 28, 2003 at 13:02:48:

In Reply to: Been away for a while, need some advise posted by DavidRN on November 28, 2003 at 11:37:35:

I own both the Yamaha 621 and a new King 2341. Both are fine tubas, but perhaps the most important information for you is that I purchased the 2341 more recently.

The Yamaha 621 is solid, consistent, and SMALL. If you *need* small, then it's one of the best choices. If you will be prancing about on stage, this might be a consideration.

The Weril copy plays just fine, but in my opinion is not as well constructed as the Yamaha 621. On the other hand, you can buy three Werils for the price of one Yamaha (well, perhaps 2.5)

The King 2341 was my choice after at least a year of testing and market research. But, be aware that build quality can be suspect. I have had problems with the silver plating on mine (I consider the problem "minor" - but others might disagree). Unlike the Yamaha, you *definitely* want to play test several examples and purchase from a source that can offer you a selection to choose from. Pay particular attention to the response when using the 4th valve. My most sensitive test turned out to be to play notes which can be played with/without the 4th valve and pay attention to the "feel" when alternating fingerings. On some samples, the difference was obvious to the most casual observer (that would be me) - on the one I selected there was no discernable difference whatsoever (to the same casual ovserver). In my opinion, it also pays to either purchase from a store which routinely "tweaks" tubas when sold - or schedule an appointment with your local tuba-doctor immediately after taking delivery.

I'm happy with both. I played the YBB-621S for 5 years while coming back from a 25 year hiatus. It's still *pristine* - just as it came out of the box (with a little help from Lee Stofer). If I make it the zoo known as the Atlanta TubaChristmas, that's the tuba I'll tote. I've been playing the King 2341 for about a year, and it's already showing signs of wear (mostly minor silver plating issues - thin spots that didn't survive a single chem-clean and polish - but also one or two gig-bag related dings). After 5 years of play, the Yamaha's valves are tighter than the 2341's were out of the box. But, when I go off to a community band gig, there's no question that the King 2341 is the tuba of choice.

Given that the Weril exists, the Yamaha 621 is probably a luxury item. A nice piece of jewelry to own, but perhaps not cost-effective. [If anything, it appears that the Weril has driven the price of the Yamaha 621 UP! Do note that the Yamaha 621 comes with a very servicable hard case, with wheels. It's easily as portable in the hard case as the King 2341 is in a gig bag.] You might consider purchasing a Weril, with the idea that it will be junk after a year or two of bar gigs. During that time, you can keep your eyes out for an opportunity to properly select a good King 2341.

Follow Ups: