Re: Re: Re: London SO Trom/Tuba section 1922

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Why probably a BBb? on November 29, 2003 at 04:33:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: London SO Trom/Tuba section 1922 posted by C(G) on November 28, 2003 at 20:02:15:

In my eyes the bore of the top bow and the leadpipe direction suggests an Eb tuba.

The interesting thing with this G bass trombone is the addition of a valve. These valves came in D or C pitches. A major problem with the non-valved G bass bone was/is, that the lowest note is C#, whereas a major symphonic trombone trio passage (Brahms #1) calls for an unsupported low C.

Somewhere in my piles of music I have a book with trombone and tuba excerpts from the 20th century British symphonic repertory. In the parts for Walton's viola concerto (?) there is a passage, where the 2nd trombone part is written in the pedal register, whereas the bass bone is written above it acting as a 2nd trombone. The excerpt editor writes in a footnote, that after the introduction of the Bb bass trombone those low notes now are accessible for the bass bone player, which makes modern trombone sections swap the 2nd and bass parts "back" in this passage.

Klaus

Follow Ups: