Re: is a 5th valve necessary?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I had one on November 29, 2003 at 19:48:41:

In Reply to: is a 5th valve necessary? posted by Carlo Stanghellini on November 29, 2003 at 08:39:20:

Carlo,

I had a new Cerveny 601-5MR CC tuba in the late 1990's----it was my main horn for two years. I played it in symphonic band, two large orchestras, and several small brass ensembles. The horn is gigantic (one of the biggest tubas out there), but its very wide dynamic range enables the player to use it in almost any context. I particularly enjoyed its capability of remaining clear and responsive at whisper soft volume levels. Be prepared to use some air at high volume----this horn will really take it out of you. Also, although beautifully manufactured, my horn had fairly thin brass, so protect the instrument from dents and dings from players walking near you, particularly string players. LOL Oh, and YES-----get the fifth valve. It's worth it. My horn had the 4+1 configuration, four on the right, one on the left. After a few days, I fell in love with the left thumb operated fifth. Sounds as if you are getting a good price----these horns are probably over $6000 here in the USA.

Follow Ups: