Re: Re: is a 5th valve necessary?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on November 29, 2003 at 22:26:52:

In Reply to: Re: is a 5th valve necessary? posted by Carlo on November 29, 2003 at 21:07:22:

Carlo,

You said "there doesn't seem to be agreement on the usefulness of the fifth valve".

I'm concerned I may have given a wrong impression. I think we ALL agree that the 5th valve is useful, especially for a comon problem note, the low F. I think the issue is really one of "just how big a problem is it if there's only 4 valves?". But that's sort of a question of degrees.

As the others have said, if at all possible, you should buy the 5 valve version. It IS helpful. The 10% premium that you describe is minimal for the benefit you will receive. Keep in mind that a good instrument is a long term investment. My point is, if you absolutely cannot afford the 5 valve version of a horn you otherwise really like, you shouldn't automatically rule it out (as some seem to suggest). However, you should carefully audition the 4 valve horn and be very honest with yourself as to whether YOU can manage the intonation issues on the low F. Also consider the resale value. I'll bet the lack of the 5th valve will lower the resale more than it costs and greatly reduce the size of the pool of potential buyers. All things to keep in mind.

Good luck,

Tony E

Follow Ups: