Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mirafone 184-5U CC for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on October 08, 1999 at 08:30:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mirafone 184-5U CC for sale posted by Joe S. on October 07, 1999 at 23:58:19:

Take heart, Joe. Not all current orchestral tubists have bought into the "bigger is better" craze. As I've said time and again, I use a Cervany 601 as a specialty instrument ONLY while using a Rudy 4/4 for at least 90% of my playing on the job. I much prefer the balance and blend with cylindrical instruments that I can get with a medium sized tuba. Besides, a smaller tuba is not necessarily a softer one...

On a side note, isn't it amazing how many of that crop of finalists from Alabama have landed jobs? To my knowledge, something like half are currently employed tubists. That was the first audition I ever progressed past the first round and I'll never forget what a fine group of players that last group was. I'll also never forget messing up the first excerpt in the semis, Jupiter from the Planets, getting bounced, and then driving all night to get back to Michigan in time to do a performance of Pictures. Now that was a busy week!

Follow Ups: