Re: Dry-Warming Up

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cazz on October 12, 1999 at 04:07:59:

In Reply to: Dry-Warming Up posted by Mario on October 12, 1999 at 02:30:43:

IMHO, using a mouthpiece is your best bet! I often buzz on a mouthpiece in the car on the way to rehearsals/gigs - then when you start on the horn, you're already half-way there. And if you don't get a warm-up on the horn, you are still much more ready to perform than you would be "stone cold". I'm so glad I usually drive to work, which gives me a 20 min start on my warmup that I would never get on the train!

I also often do a mouthpiece-only warm-up for sousaphone gigs (although I don't view it as optimum), purely because I leave unpacking and assembling the horn till the *absolute* last minute (because there is usually nowhere safe to put it on a pub stage that is being prepared for a sound-check).

I like to cover the end of the m/p differing amounts to emulate the horn's resistance... that seems to make it easier to emulate softer mid-register notes (my ideal "first notes of the day").

My teacher always recommended the "horse putter" (really loose flapping buzz - without m/p) for overtrained lips... and, of course REST is also good (as in any athletic or muscular pursuit).

Cheers, CAZZ

Follow Ups: