Getting a new bell

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christopher on October 12, 1999 at 11:09:39:

I am ever so slowly in the process of working with Dillon Music and Rudolf Meinl to futz with my "3/4" CC until I have the perfect tuba. It's all very exciting. I am about to have a new bell made and attached, and I have some options about procedure for which I want as many opinions as possible. So I turn to all y'all!

Here's the situation: I am talking with the Rudi Meinl people through my brother who lives in Frankfurt. So the phone calls are local (or at least cheaper than International rates from NYC), but the information might be slightly modified from the original message. Apparently, Rudolf Meinl is reluctant to ship just a bell to the US, or at least they want me to know how expensive it will be. They are suggesting that I go hang out with my brother for a few days while they put the bell on themselves. Seems to me that might be twice the hassle and danger, because the bell has to go two ways!

I have three options as I see it:
(1) Pay for them to ship the bell, have Dillon put it on.
(2) Fly my tuba out to Germany, have Rudolf Meinl put it on, hang out with the bro.
(3) Bribe or blackmail my brother into picking up the bell, flying it back to me when he next comes to the states, have Dillon put it on.

I am concerned about damage first, money a very close second.

Anyone got more experience than I do with this kind of thing?

Follow Ups: