Re: Tuba sound?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by barry guerrero on October 15, 1999 at 00:45:56:

In Reply to: Tuba sound? posted by Simon McCauley on October 04, 1999 at 21:32:55:

I think I can help. First off, try moving up to a Dennis Wick 1 mouthpiece. I use the 1L (the "L" means that it fits the traditional american type receiver)for any big stuff. It's among the very best large mouthpieces I've ever played. If that doesn't do the trick, try getting a bigger lead pipe out of the Boosey and Hawkes people in England. Just be very exact in telling them what instrument you have. That way, you won't have the nasty surprise of getting a pipe that won't fit. Now let's say you do get a pipe, but it doesn't fit exactly right. Then go to a real good brass technician - they have all kinds of magic tricks to make it work. A lot of guys recommend Dillons in New Jersey - but ask around. If you do get a new pipe, don't throw away or cut your old pipe! Hang on to it.
If that works out, and you want to keep modifying your horn, then consider getting the 19" bell from B&H. Again, you must get a technician who knows what they're doing.
OK, let's say you do any combination of the above, and then you find out that your horn has become too flat in pitch. Shouldn't be a problem. Most Besson (or B&H) E-flats have tubing on the back side (that goes to your bell) that is perfectly straight. That's a very good spot to have a few inches cut off. Where ever you have your horn cut (if needed), make certain to do it somewhere where the tubing is straight. Don't have any tapered tubing cut. John Fletcher (of London Symphony and Philip Jones Brass Ensemble fame)used to call this the "Parker cut". If you get to London, they're used to tweeking these "eefers" since they come from there. However, none of this is anything that a great place like Dillons couldn't handle. If none of these things do the trick, and the band means more to you than your horn - then go buy a good, used BBb tuba. If you want to talk, then contact me at tasha5(AT)earthlink.net. In addition, you might consider using the DEG tuba rest type stand. I swear my horn seems to vibrate more, and open up a bit more when it's not being being smothered in my lap. If you do get a new bell and it's not lacquered - leave it that way, or silver plate it.

Follow Ups: