Re: Alec Wilder compostions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on October 05, 2000 at 00:10:43:

In Reply to: Alec Wilder compostions posted by Russell on October 04, 2000 at 21:34:05:

I would think that Suite #1 for horn, tuba, and pf would be your obvious choice, then.

Ironically, I was invited to a performance of it tonight by the horn player (an Indiana U student who is in town) AND by a friend of the tuba player. My brother called from D.C. about our Christmas plans in N.Y.C. and I missed the recital...

YES, this one is quite tonal...Very interesting first movement...rhythmic, unusual catchy melody, nice "changes". A very pretty "song" as one of the mvts: Berceuse for Carol (G major, I think). A VERY cute Eb major jazz mvt.; later a "heavy-sorrowful" mvt., and an evergetic fugue as the last mvt. (a "suite" - 5 mvts.) I personally think (and I daresay many agree) that unfortunately the last mvt. is the weakest although it indeed is "energetic". The end of the fugal final mvt. is particularly weak, ending on a "slid-into" jazz-type sharp-9 chord that doesn't speak very well unless you have a REALLY strong pianist. Oh well, the other mvts. are quite nice. One COULD consider just doing the THREE most appealing mvts: the 1st mvt, the Berceuse, and the "jazzy" mvt. The "jazzy" mvt. would suffice as a decent "closer".

Follow Ups: