Re: Conn tuba on ebay

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on October 09, 2000 at 01:54:24:

In Reply to: Conn tuba on ebay posted by john on October 06, 2000 at 10:04:25:

I have recently purchased a horn to which was added a 5th valve onto the top of the upper 4th valve tuning slide (making is dependant-unusable unless 4th is in play). I was VERY skeptical of this arrangement until I received the horn. Very open low range (the local symphony player exclaimed "Damn, my yorkbrunner can't do that!"), usable, and reversable in that the rotor can be removed and the slide replaced for use as originally equipped. Now, many 4 valve horns had a flat 4th set-up, (my Conn 2-J and my old King for example) as did this holton which was cut to be in tune. This would allow (I am told) for an easy low F, but makes for some work in other areas. I would bid on this horn and try it as it is, but certainly give the dependant 5th some thought before making any major changes. I nearly passed up my horn because of the dependant 5th,(I really can afford the going rate for the latest and greatest models), but ended up with a horn which not only plays great, but also has the much sought after 'old american sound'.

Good luck to you...

Follow Ups: