Re: Vaughan Williams Concerto

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on October 10, 2000 at 18:31:17:

In Reply to: Vaughan Williams Concerto posted by Justin Beish on October 09, 2000 at 19:54:32:

Like most of the follow ups written before this one, I believe that if the Ab is giving you consistant problems, then leave it out. I have been extremely lucky to have performed this piece in recitals and with 4 different orchestras. I have received some very nice compliments about my performances and the piece itself. Not once has anyone ever said, "Nice Ab!" They'll never know or care that you hit it, they will only know or care if you miss it or make it a earsore!

I have heard so many players "squel" out the Ab and by doing wierd things that compensate tone, accuracy of the pitches around the Ab, and sudden bursts of dynamics that are just not musical. So having said that, just know there is no musical quick fix. My teachers always said the best way to work on your high range is to work on your low range. Also, I agree with other follow ups that practicing etudes in different registers may help. I think ear training in extreme registers is very important and make sure you always keep the air flowing and articulate. I hope any of this helps, good luck!

Mark

Follow Ups: