Re: Re: Practice Time

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Urling on October 15, 2000 at 09:20:54:

In Reply to: Re: Practice Time posted by Sean Chisham on October 15, 2000 at 00:14:14:

I did leave out the recording aspect. I am constantly recording myself. In fact, during the longer sessions, I generally record EVERYTING I work on (including warm-up and technical studies). The listening time allows chop recovery.

RE: the 2-2.5 hour sessions. I do sit in the room for that period of time, however the chop vibration time may be more in the 45 minute range like you recommend. I attribute this to recording and listening to myself. This kind of re-direction of focus allows me to stay fresh. Although I may not be playing the instrument, I do consider this activity practicing.

Another thing that keeps me fresh is changing the focus of what I practice. I move from the excerpt stuff, to the solo, to the technical, to brass quintet, to going through one etude a week and preparing it for a simulated performance and finally keeping my rep ready for work. I even record the stuff I prepare for my gig.

RE: the recovery time. I’ve never realized it, but the 12-hour thing works very well for me - I do return with warm chops, as well a fresh mind. I’ll be more aware of trying to do some minimal maintenance every 12. I've been told by that same source I referred to in my first post that your chops need at least 8 hours of recovery per day. It’s a good thing we humans have that built in need for sleep.

Thanks for the feedback!

Follow Ups: