Re: Hirsbrunner plastic rotor repair: $3.50

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nameless for others... on October 15, 2000 at 14:28:50:

In Reply to: Hirsbrunner plastic rotor repair: $3.50 posted by Joe S. on October 15, 2000 at 00:07:07:

Joe,

Read the study (advertisment, really) from a couple of years ago in the ITG Journal regarding the qualities and properties of various valve oils. It turned out to be an advertisment for a synthetic brand, but the comparative data on the petrolium-based brands were seemingly accurate. They reccomended Al Cass for a lot of stuff, with Blue Juice mostly a close second in a field of about a dozen brands. This included things like "rate of evaporation" and the like.

So, in my shop we posted the results on the wall for customers to see, with our prices posted next to each brand we carried or could order. Customers now mostly buy Al Cass. But in the shop we still use that smelly old Blue Juice. It works better on rotary valves, (or so I think) and just as well on larger pistons. BTW - I think it smells pretty good. But then I like the smell of gasoline as well...must be from all those hours my parents kept me locked in a closet...hmm... :^O

We had an HB2 in the shop last year with the described problem. The customer had followed the posted advice of Mr. Hirsbrunner and had expanded the Rolls-Royce-of-the-tuba-world-except-for-the-rotors plastic cores beyond what was probably expected by the factory guys. He then tried to lap the rotors himself (with no expreience) and twisted the (unsurprisingly easy to bend) spindles, so the rotor would not turn and was nearly impossible ro remove. From what I gather from repairmen/tubists/friends around the U.S., this problem is almost common enough to call common...but not quite. I have found Blue Juice to solve this problem pretty well, too. And even if it may not on all of these tubas (i.e. plastic may not be the culprit in every case) Blue Juice is the FIRST thing one should try, as it works well and is SO delightfully fragrant.

Nobody Special Except to my Wife
(But my e-mail IS posted. I just don't want to embarass the subject of the story by revealing my name, as this will identify my location and then might identify the hapless "plasti-victim" causing consternation and societal withdrawl. (hee-hee-hee...)

:>/

Follow Ups: