Re: Best BBb under 3K

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 17, 2000 at 23:46:27:

In Reply to: Best BBb under 3K posted by D. Pattison on October 17, 2000 at 22:07:43:

You have several choices in that range. The VMI 2103 is by most accounts a worthy instrument, and the ones I have played have been nice. Would I rather have it new than a used Miraphone? It would depend on the particular instruments. (The Schmidt being imported by Brook Mays is the same instrument as the VMI, by the way.)

Another budget German-style rotary tuba is the Cerveny. Yes, Cervenys are owned by Amati, but don't let that scare you off. The Cervenys are decent instruments at their best, and can compete with any of these offerings. The VMI is probably a bit more rugged, but the Cerveny has a character all its own. I owned one that was made when the Czechs were still Commmunist, and it was a good value. They are better now.

If you want a different kind of instrument, there are other choices in that range. The Jupiter 582 is a front-action piston instrument in the American style. It is not large, but it is also not junk. I haven't played one. Similar but somewhat larger is the King 2341, with the upright bell. The King has evolved from old American designs, and it has many devoted followers.

If you want a small horn (which you wouldn't if you like the VMI), Weril makes a 3/4 BBb that is similar to a Yamaha and only about two-thirds of your price. It has gotten good reviews, but I find the Yamaha which it copies to be just too small for a BBb.

In summary, I think a used Miraphone in really good shape would be my first choice for an all-round horn, but that's me. Play them and form your own conclusions.

Rick "Please don't even mention the name 'St. Petersburg'" Denney

Follow Ups: