Re: Re: Florida Philharmonic Orchestra Strike

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Economist on October 21, 2000 at 20:08:04:

In Reply to: Re: Florida Philharmonic Orchestra Strike posted by Alex C on October 21, 2000 at 15:50:49:

The comparison with professional baseball players is inapt and harms your case. The problem is that the public, however benighted and ignorant, is willing to pay more to see a mediocre second baseman than they are a first rate symphony player.

Lots of kids want to become professional ball players, and the market system weeds them down to what the market will pay for.

Not as many, but still a relatively large number of kids want to become professional musicians, but the educational system does not weed them out as effectively and we have a significant oversupply relative to the demand.

As a musician, I think the public's lack of understanding of and lack of interest in classical music stinks. For the past 30 years or so, we have had a great upsurge in the number (and quality) of local or regional orchestras, with public and quasi-public funding through tax-deductible giving.

We created the supply. We led the horse to water. But, the horse won't drink and the public won't pay the price to support these orchestras. It makes me sick to see it, but it's time to face the facts. The Union is dying because it doesn't make a significant difference in the lives of musicians. Again, I deplore this, but there it is.

Follow Ups: