Re: Rex Martin vs Gene Pokorny

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Farah on October 22, 2000 at 17:29:18:

In Reply to: Rex Martin vs Gene Pokorny posted by LI Tuba Guy on October 22, 2000 at 13:00:51:

First of all, on the finalists: There is a past thread on here that talks about all of the finalists.

Second of all, Mr. Pokorny is a fantastic tuba player. One of the best I have ever heard with a great sound and interpretation. Mr. Martin is also a fantastic tuba player with an incredible sound; one whose sound supports an orchestra in an amazing capacity.

Is one better than the other?

Nope. They are just different players. Chicago is so lucky to have two amazing tuba players. They do not have an "icy relationship." The reason why they change the subject when one of the others' names are brought up is a good question. You should, as a professional, never talk about your peers because your words can always be twisted around.

I am a horn player. My two most favorite horn players (actually along with many others) are Dale Clevenger and Phil Meyers. For those of you who do not travel in the horn world, they play at COMPLETE opposite ends of the US's horn playing styles otherwise known as the "New York" style and the "Chicago" style. They are my favorites because they are so different and play so extremely well. It is a matter of opinion of which style one likes the best.

One other item I wanted to mention is have any of you guys/gals had a lesson with a "big-time" pro? (I.e., National Symphony, New York Phil, San Francisco.. you know..) With my experience, I HAVE thought, "Man, I sound better than these guys." Here's a lesson to the newer playing folks: They know how to play to an audience while playing in a concert hall. There is a different technique to projecting in a concert hall than the practice room sound students sometimes get. They may sound bad in your lesson, but man, when they do their concert, they sound incredible! Whatever they're doing, DO IT. Don't say that,"I sound terrible when Ms/Mr makes me play this way." Trust me. I learned the hard way, they know what you're doing. They aren't soloists for a reason.

Farah (Man does that Chicago section know what they're doing!) Chisham

Follow Ups: