Re: Re: Are orchestras dying?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason Ladd on October 24, 2000 at 09:38:47:

In Reply to: Re: Are orchestras dying? posted by Bryan on October 24, 2000 at 08:46:22:

I agree with Bryan's statement. I have had a lot of experience working as a telemarketer for the Rochester Philharmonic and Syracuse Symphony. The demographic of 25-55 year olds do want to go to symphony concerts I find but they don't have the time. These people are just starting families. This means that they are involved with the children's extracurricular activities, spending extra time at and other such things. They aren't able to commit to season subscription as those who are older. A lot of people have never been to an orchestra concert. This is an area that must be changed.
Orchestras will not die in this country. The main thing that needs to happen is more emphasis on music education. The nine content standards that MENC put forth in the 90s are being required by a number of state governments. Napster will end up charging for music by the end of the year. There is nothing that can replace live music.
An orchestra that is doing well is the Baltimore Symphony. They just signed a four year contract that will significantly increase their salary. They too aren't recording as much as they did 5 years ago but they have broaden their audience base by having a new summer home. The Rochester Philharmonic, Buffalo Philharmonic and Syracuse Symphony all went through crises in the first half of the 90s. Syracuse has had a surplus the last few years and is now starting an endowment campaign.
There has been some mention on some posts about the union killing orchestras and I believe that not to be true. The union was started when bars started buying player pianos instead of hiring musicians. There have been new forms of technology that have threatened the existence of live music through out the 20th Century and yet we are still hired to play concerts and gigs because live music is always better. Hilary Hahn stated at the ASOL convention in Boston that we need to let audience know who we are and I believe this to be the next step. Use the internet to promote arts organizations like she has at her web site.

Follow Ups: