Re: Re: Are orchestras dying?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Farah on October 24, 2000 at 11:56:17:

In Reply to: Re: Are orchestras dying? posted by Bryan on October 24, 2000 at 08:46:22:

Actually, Sean and I went to hear National a few months ago to hear Mahler 6. I have no idea how he did it, but he was able to purchase the $100 tickets for a greatly reduced price. We were dressed in our "comfortable attire" (nice shirt and slacks) and everyone else around us in lovely dresses and Armani suits. These were box seats and the people who were sitting around us were *not* old. Most of the people were in their 40s-early50s.
There are seats above the orchestra on stage and those people were our age and we found out that those people are the ones who donate something like $5000 or more a year to the orchestra (the price could be way off, but I remember it being substantial enough that we said "no way").

In the sections where the somewhat less expensive seats were seniors (age 60+). I'm not saying that everyone who paid big bucks for their seats were younger, I just talking about a majority. Farah

Follow Ups: