Re: Music and joy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on October 25, 2000 at 07:18:19:

In Reply to: Music and joy posted by Joe Baker on October 24, 2000 at 23:05:59:

Two things strike me, here. First, my teacher, George Black, taught me that, if you are not willing to accept any work offered as a musician, you will not be a successful professional musician. George was a colleague of Bill Bell and recited any number of stories about Bell and the various jobs they played together and for each other. When I got tired of playing bass in clubs (volume and smoke and dealing with drunks got me) I realized I was jeapordizing my living as a musician and it did work out that way. But it was my choice and I made it (and lots of money playing part time while working for IBM).

Second, when I play, if I can have any contact with the audience (eye, body language, etc.) I try very hard to make the audience react. This requires more than just playing the notes, however severe the professional face I put on. I think it is my job, along with performing the music to provide a warm but professional and human experience to the people who pay me to play. It is the nature of the business as is meeting the audience afterward (if they desire) to confirm their positive thoughts about the concert.
Whatever I do, the point is to make it worth both time and money. If I don't want to do that, I shouldn't be playing for audiences.

Follow Ups: