Conn "Grand Orchestra"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DaveC on October 25, 2000 at 16:23:29:

I recently took delivery of the Conn CC tuba that was on eBay a few days ago. I'm interested in finding out a little more about it. I read the older posts about this horn and I think it might be the "Grand Orchestra" model. It has a 20" bell and a .740" bore.There are NO markings on the bell, and the bell flare is a little different from other Conns I have, i.e., a slower flare that is more like the Meinl-Weston bells than the old Conn bells. The braces and waterkeys all look like Conn, and the bottom caps have mother-of-pearl discs inlaid, and I have seen old Conn trumpets like that. The person I bought it from has no history on the tuba. The serial # dates it at 1928. It is in C, and it is not "cut."

Does anyone know what this is?? Were these at all common, or were they custom made?

PS It's a gorgeous instrument, with a big sound but very agile. I use large shank mpcs, so I haven't had the chance to really crank it out, I've just used some Bach's I have in the shop. There is no room before the valves for a 5th valve, but there is some room after the valves. I'm not messing with it for now, however. It plays too nicely and in tune.

Hoping to tap into the collective tuba consciousness for any race memory of 1928 Conns!

Follow Ups: