Re: Re: Re: CC Horn Needed! LA Area…

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 30, 2000 at 09:47:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: CC Horn Needed! LA Area… posted by Erik on October 30, 2000 at 00:24:59:

The funnel-shaped mouthpieces allow a darker sound--more fundamental and less harmonic. And volume of the mouthpiece (and possibly the diameter of the throat) seem to affect the volume of sound. Mouthpieces with more of a cup shape create a brighter sound--more brilliance and less fundamental. Miraphone 186's tend to the latter anyway.

The funnels include the Conn Helleberg and the wide assortment of available variants. The cups include the Bach 18, and similar mouthpieces. Some are a combination of the two, such as a Parantucci PT-48, which is a funnel with a more rounded bowl. It makes a strong sound on a Miraphone, more distinct than a Helleberg, but darker than a Bach 18.

When I tried out the York, I spent a lot of time calibrating my ear on my Miraphone with various mouthpieces. I took a Bach 18, Conn Helleberg, Tuba Exchange Rose (a large Helleberg-style mouthpiece), a Miraphone Rose Orchestra (also a funnel), and a PT-48. That seemed to cover the range of possible sounds. The differences in these mouthpieces were obvious even to the non-musician friend that accompanied me on that trial.

Some would advise picking the mouthpiece that provides the best overall compromise and sticking with it. I'm of that camp, because each mouthpiece seems to have its effects on intonation and response, and you have to get used to them. But if you can keep track of these idiosyncracies, then you can use them for different effects, as Jacobs did on occasion.

Rick "All generalizations are false, but some are useful" Denney

Follow Ups: