Lesson in a box

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on October 30, 2000 at 09:59:29:

I just set up my new surround sound system and to test the effect settings I popped in THE Gabrieli CD (Philly/Cleve./Chicago). Every time I listen to that CD I find that I feel rejuvinated to play and practice, no matter what is going on. Every time I listen I am still amazed at the play, especially Abe Torchinsky's. He has one of the most compact and centered sounds I have ever heard that can also move walls. No I know where Warren Deck gets his sound concept! My question(s) is(are) does any one know what type of tuba is on the front of the album that Abe is holding and is that a Meinl Weston Bill Bell model in the liner notes with the cutout next to him? Also, is it just me or does the horn I think is the Bell model seem to have a tubing loop that lead to no valve, ie that is self enclosed? If so what the heck is that for? I just wanted to pass along my continued support for this album and try to figure out what horns Abe is holding in those two different photos. Thanks for any replies!

Matt G

Follow Ups: