grad schools for doublers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on October 01, 2001 at 18:14:30:

I've posted on this subject before, but now that I have more specific questions I'm hoping that I'll get more specific answers.

I'm looking for a master's program in either tuba or euphonium performance, I don't really care which, but I want to be able to study both roughly equally. I'm mostly interested in studying solo euphonium and quintet/orchestra on tuba. For several reasons, I'd like to get a teaching assistantship, probably taking overflow students from the tuba prof's studio, but I wouldn't mind teaching introductory theory as well (I'm a BA general music major, not theory/comp). Location of the school doesn't matter. Btw, my goal is to eventually teach tuba/euphonium at the collegiate level.

If any of you have suggestions of specific schools, I'd very much appreciate it. However, I'd be glad for advice just to narrow my search. From what little searching I've done so far, I've seen mostly assistantships for one or the other, and I'm trying to find a school that wants (dare I say needs?) me to play both.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Follow Ups: