Re: Kalison "Smith" BBb tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dmmorris on October 03, 2001 at 09:00:48:

In Reply to: Kalison "Smith" BBb tuba posted by John Szkutko on October 03, 2001 at 08:02:07:

I have played this tuba side-by-side with the Miraphone 191 (both using a Marcinkiewicz H2 Mouthpiece). While the Kalison is beautiful to look at, especially in silver (which I played), and the piston valves operated very smoothly......the sound just wasn't even close to the Miraphone 191. I really wanted the Kalison to "win". The Kalison is prettier, and it costs more! (or did at the time)....so it should be better right? But the Miraphone 191 just walked all over the Kalison in terms of core, resonance, note "slotting", and intonation. I just could not get the Kalison to "speak" with any confidence or comfort. In contrast, the Miraphone played rich and full and effortlessly.

Perhaps with a different mouthpiece....... But to my mind, I wouldn't risk the cash.

There have been discussions of resale value of tubas on this BBS in the past. I would advise looking those up and using them in your evaluation also.

Regards,
dmm
"happily living w/ a nice ol'B&S, but acknowledging that the M191 is a heck of a tuba"

Follow Ups: