Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo---Tuba or Euphonium?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on October 03, 2001 at 23:25:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo---Tuba or Euphonium? posted by Steve C on October 03, 2001 at 22:40:26:

I have no sources to tell me about the diameter of the original mouthpieces for the French C tubas.

But if they followed the patterns of the French trombone mouthpieces from that period, then they very well would be funnel shaped. But also of a narrow diameter.

The French symphonic trombone tradition from the Berlioz era until well after WWII had non-valved narrow bore tenors on all 3 parts. A tradition shared with the British, only that these had 2 tenors and a G bass.

I have just measured the original mouthpiece of my 1919 Hawkes G bass bone. The cup diameter is 21.7mm (.854"), with the same depth of the cup. The shape is closer to funnel than to cup. I would call this a smallish mouthpiece by the standards of today.

And of course I hereby have delivered no proof for nothing.

Klaus

PS: Within the last year the last 6 valve C tuba made by Mahillon was sold out of a Belgian brass retail store to the US. That very instrument recently was put on some virtual auction place by someone somewhere on the US West coast. Was it in the LA-area?. I can not trace it for now, but there really would have been a person to ask.

Follow Ups: