Re: yamaha 641

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by From Parts Unknown on October 04, 2001 at 07:50:04:

In Reply to: yamaha 641 posted by Tim Erickson on October 03, 2001 at 22:16:08:

For what it's worth, I think that there are consistentcy issues at Yamaha where the 641 is concerned. I'm currently on my second 641 and absolutely love it (I sold my first one when Yamaha improved the linkage). I have played some 641's that were absolute dogs, but if you can play a few and pick one, you might end up with a great playing horn. I haven't played a 186 that I like near as much as my 641, but please remember that I'm not speaking for ALL 641's...just mine. As for the pitch of my particular 641 I find all of the lower stuff to be just fine, but you really start to notice a dramatic change when moving from F in the staff up to F# and G. My horn tends to go sharp from F# to G. Many horns require a few alternate fingerings in the mid to upper register (thank goodness for third valve slides), so I don't see it as a big deal (because I'm used to it). I love the sound that the horn produces, but it isn't made to work with a bashful quintet! I don't work for Yamaha, but this is my honest assessment of my particular 641, and I've owned a 641 since 1978. For a BBb horn, if you can play and pick, you might do REAL well to check 'em out.

Follow Ups: