Re: Low passages

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on October 05, 2001 at 07:34:01:

In Reply to: Low passages posted by Choo Sum Wang on October 04, 2001 at 23:05:09:

This phenomenon might be related to deffective elements of your playing technique, but before dramatising the situation I would look into the more obvious:

Induced by sleep and cold weather ones facial skin can stiffen up to a degree where it acts as a transmitter of low frequency/large amplitude vibrations from ones lip area to ones eyeballs, so that the sight is blurred. If you want really funny effects, then try to watch TV, while playing in the low tuba range during an early morning warm-up during the winter.

Sleep often can cause slight edemas in the facial tissue. Try to have a peek in a mirror, and you often will think, that your sight is blurred. But in that case the blur is sitting right on your face.

Cold weather can cause a contraction of the outer skin musculature. That saves energy, because a lesser amount of blood circulation leads to a lessened radiation of heat.

So before I recommend major surgery on either you our your tuba playing, I would suggest a facial massage. The areas around the nose and the eyes are especially important.

If you should happen to give your forehead and the top of your scull a good rub the same time, you might likewise experience increased activities in the respective hinter- and underlands.

Klaus

Follow Ups: