Re: Study Tuba at Univ. of FL?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on October 05, 2001 at 12:04:23:

In Reply to: Study Tuba at Univ. of FL? posted by Ryan on October 05, 2001 at 11:09:03:

As an ex-Floridian, I am somewhat qualified to speak on the subject. Ms. Robertson is a fine euphonium player and a superb arranger for tuba-euphonium ensemble. In Orlando she has a fine studio of euphonium players who are always taking top honors in both district and state competitions and auditions. However, as one who went to another school in Florida that did not have a Tuba instructor/player, I would have like to have had the opportunity to study with a person with tuba as their main focus. In the area I was in their were plenty of opportunities to get together with the numerous pro's for lessons and learn a multitude of approaches and concepts of playing. Unfortunately, the "well-spring" of the jobs that was/were in the area has dried up substantially to the point where a great deal of these good players have left or changed professions. I can give you some frank and honest impressions of the public schools in the state and where my recommendations would be if you cared to email me off the list. Most of these shools are relatively affordable and would offer a good all-around education. Within the state you do have the chance to make yourself a good player regardless of circumstances. I went to school with a person who has made it to the "big time" playing tuba. As Chuck Jackson, I believe, mentioned a while back: "Make your own private Julliard". While my friend did go to Julliard, he did spend time in a Florida school. Even though it might not have helped him like Julliard did, he still managed to get into Julliard and it didn't seem to hinder him too much. As I mentioned, email me and I will be glad to give you my opinion of the schools in the state.

Matt G

Follow Ups: