Need bigger bell for my YEB381

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Gnagey on October 07, 2001 at 09:33:50:

Over the summer I bought this 5-valve version of the earlier Yamaha 321 EEb tuba. I liked the 321 that I had for many years but sold it in favor of the Besson 983 because of the advantages of the compensating system. However I was never quite happy with the response and sound of the Besson compared to the 321. With the 5th valve the 381 solves many of those problems.
This week I tried using the 381 in orchestra on Bruckner #4. It is a beautiful horn to play that piece on. The tesitura is just right and the key is perfect for Eb tuba. I ventured that Bruckner had in mind a small Viennese F tuba. Ultimately the Yamaha just couldn't match the huge sound that the rest of the section was producing. Obviously Bruckner was also writing for a section of brass that was quite different from modern instruments. I reluctantly returned to the Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC for the performance which went well.
I've experimented with sticking larger bells into the existing 15" bell on the 381 with good results. Unfortunately I don't have a larger bell in my stock that will mate up with the bottom bow. I'm looking for a 19" or 20" bell that has a bottom diameter of about 13-1/2". I've talked to the people at Yamaha where a new 19" bell will run nearly $3K.
Any suggestions? Perhaps the Besson 19" EEb bell would work. Does anyone have a spare one of those or something with similar specs. for me to try? I may be forced to do a very ugly graft job(oh, my reputation!)if no one will save me.
I have a hunch that the YFB621 would also benefit from the same modification.

Follow Ups: