Re: Big Time Eb players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by heard the RPO use an Eb in Mahler 5. on October 07, 2001 at 19:03:35:

In Reply to: Big Time Eb players posted by Allan on October 05, 2001 at 20:37:20:

Just a few years ago, I heard the Royal Philharmonic play Mahler 5 under Danielle Gatti, and the tubaist used a B&H Eb tuba (sorry, don't remember his name). While he certainly could be heard, I wouldn't recommend that everyone run out and try doing that. To me, it really sort of lacked in putting much of a bottom on the band. I've heard Mahler 5 played many times, and I must say that I prefere hearing that part played on something bigger.

However, not to be predujudiced in some way, but it's been my impression that they don't like a lot of bass on the bottom of their orchestras in London. I've heard the LSO; LPO; Philharmonia (very weak double basses); and the RPO, and I've really have had a hard time hearing their doubles basses, or much bottom at all. I think that's partly why Fletch used to stand out so much when he was using his big Holton. In a conversation that I had with him one time, he told me that some of his colleagues actually complained about his huge sound not blending with the rest of the band. When I hear that players in London are now using BAT's, 2165's, and big Cerveney's, I sort have a tough time believing that, just judging from the recent recordings that I've been hearing. I guess they just have a different idea of what they want to be hearing in their orchestras, than we do with our perhaps more *Germanicized* concepts (?).

for what it's worth (I could be wrong),
Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: