Re: time off between undergrad and grad?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Clouse on October 09, 2001 at 10:36:37:

In Reply to: time off between undergrad and grad? posted by foolish youngster on October 08, 2001 at 23:38:58:

This is what I'm doing right now.

I graduated with a practically useless piece of paper, and boldly set out to see the world. The trick is to keep yourself involved with musicians and stick around the music scene. You need to plan your time off of school just as carefully as you plan your semester IN school. YOu need to keep goals, and you need to keep contacts. It will be very easy to enjoy the regular income, relatively light schedule, and no papers, but if you keep your head on straight, it will just be a good reason to go back and finish so you can get that dream-gig.

I chose to move to cincinnati and bask in the glow of the conservatory and symphony. Along the way I've gotten to meet and study with Sam Pilafian, Don Harry and several others of note. I sound better now than I have EVER sounded. I am more driven now to get back into grad school than I EVER was as an undergrad. I managed to get a job as an IT Manager at a dotcom, and now I'm puching forward with finding a teacher and upgrading to the equipment I WANT, not just the stuff I can afford. I'm putting away some $ for the rainy days of graduate work. All I have left to do is meet my $ goals and I head back to school.

I wish you luck. It's going to be scarey either way you choose, but if you have any questions, feel free to email me. I can pontificate for hours about the value of time off.

Dan

Follow Ups: