Re: A little help please!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by self promotion on October 10, 2001 at 23:57:59:

In Reply to: A little help please! posted by Jeff Perkins on October 10, 2001 at 14:25:21:

I try to keep these in stock, along with cases.

I always offer the tuba "only" (4 front-action pistons) for under $1700 with (fairly often) even better prices for new instruments with very minor lacquer blemishes. These Weril 3/4 size BBb tubas' bells and bodies (tapered bows) are virtually identical to the small Yamaha instruments', but the valve section looks more "American" (like Conn, Olds, etc.)

VERY RECENTLY, Weril came out with a BIGGER BBb 4 front-action piston tuba. This one is definitely a "4/4" size instrument, with a 16-something inch bell diameter and a .7XX"-something bore size. It costs more, too...but still somewhere in the middle $2XXX range. The 4/4 instrument is DEFINITELY NOT "U.P.S.-able". I just ordered in a couple of 4/4 Weril BBb's to promote them locally, and I haven't yet played one.

As to the 3/4 size instrument, its a very fun little tuba...The intonation tendencies remind me of some of the Willson instruments, in that the "middle range" Bb (second line on the staff - "tuning note?") seems to be just a tad flat, but quite flexible enough to not pose a serious problem.

Follow Ups: