Re: Boston Music Co. Instruments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on October 17, 2001 at 09:00:32:

In Reply to: Boston Music Co. Instruments posted by Rob Suttie on October 16, 2001 at 05:53:12:

The Boston Musical Instrument Manufactory was formed by combining the E.G. Wright and Graves companies. Both of those companies were important, well known innovative manufacturers in the mid 19th century. A number of other well known instrument makers got their start at this company, including James York who found J.W. York.

Their early instruments were primarily made with rotary valves, but they branched out into piston valve instruments in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They became well known for their "3 star" model trumpets and cornets. They made every type of brass instrument, including many helicon shaped cavelry horns in many keys and sizes and a complete line of over the shoulder horns.

I owned an interesting Boston Musical Instrument euphonium that had the 4th valve on the side but was non-compensating. I also had a Boston 3 star trumpet. Both were attractive instruments. I have since sold both of them, probably too cheaply.

Follow Ups: