Re: Re: Re: Re: Small shank mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on October 18, 2001 at 01:42:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Small shank mouthpieces posted by js on October 18, 2001 at 01:09:28:

Hi Joe!

I just love, when you demonstrate, how you got your doctoral degree in JSilosophy.

Yamaha has just about the widest palette of brass models of all makers. And as I understand it, there are a number of design units, that work pretty much on their own, so that Yamaha hardly can be scuffed off as just being Yamaha.

I am not endorsing Yamaha unconditionally, but many of their instruments certainly have had a positive function. None the least in the educational system. 25 or so years ago their cornets, alto horns, baritones, and euphs were the most in tune student instruments to be had (as long as they not leaked, that is). The 354 student trombone was a revelation in its price range. My favourite choice of beginner cornet since then has changed to Jupiter. And to Weril in beginner euph.

In their range of "better" trombones I am more reserved, because I think they are a bit too mellow.

But the 2 Yamahas I own myself are very much of my liking. The 641 euph does not qualify for the term "thin" in any way. And the YFL631 (the red brass one), that I found used for just over the equivalent of $200, most certainly is an instrument of high class, when played on a Giardinelli J4 (yes that is a FH mpc).

Which brings us back to the question of how to fit mpc and instrument to each other.

Klaus

Follow Ups: