Re: Re: Kalison DS vs. 56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Cary on October 18, 2001 at 15:02:43:

In Reply to: Re: Kalison DS vs. 56J posted by Scott on October 18, 2001 at 14:19:31:

The Kalison works well for me in that most of the playing I do is in a Community Band, and it has a good low register. The top end of the horn is a bit squirrelly, but I admit that high playing is not my forte - in fact I just bought a Mirafone TU-27 (Rose Solo) for small group and solo work when I need to play in a higher register. The biggest drawback I have may be that I need to do a lot of 3rd valve adjustment on E-flat and A-Flat when playing in the band, part of that being related to these notes being inconsistant pitch wise on the BB-Flat Mirafones and Yamahas in our group. The Kalsion does have a nice hand-lapped 1st valve slide with a stop (like a trumpet) to adjust the D in the staff (tends to be flat), and the F below the staff (tends to be sharp). I did have these same problems with my 186. I also need to use a 2-3 combo on the E-flat in the staff and a 1-2 combo for the E in the staff (had to do that on my 186 also, so the "alternate" fingerings are no big deal after almost 18 years of CC Tuba-ing). I just have heard some good things about these new Conn horns, and I am somewhat partial to old Conn tubas and sousaphones. I have noticed though that 52J and 56J models are already coming into the used market, which means that they may not be the end-all. So, I am only in the preliminary stages of shopping, and would like people's opinions. But then again, I am looking to sell my house and move into a bigger one also, so that will most likely take precedent.

Follow Ups: