Re: New World Symphony

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on October 19, 2001 at 20:24:02:

In Reply to: New World Symphony posted by Zach on October 19, 2001 at 18:07:27:

Zach,

I can empathize with what your going through. You've heard the point of view of some others and I think they are all valid. Only you know your abilities and desire to play though. If you think you can handle studying for your finals and play the gig, and it is important enough to YOU, then I would say play. The opportunity to play in Carnegie Hall is a very rare opportunity for anyone. However, as Jay has mentioned, you get a whopping 14 notes to play. The passage is nice, but before you know it, it's over and you sit there. At different stages and ages in our life, somethings are more important than others. I don't mean to get philosophical, but it's true. If you are at a stage in your life where the OPPORTUNITY to play this is really important and you would kick yourself later if you didn't, than find a way to do it. Perhaps you can arrange something NOW with your teachers to take the finals before or after the gig. Talk with them and explain your dilemma. If you do go though, I wouldn't expect a great deal of fulfillment in playing this piece. I would just enjoy being there. If you think that you need to concentrate on your studies, which will have a greater impact on your future, than gracefully bow out and focus on your study. Like I said, only you know what is most important to you in your life right now. I'm sure you will figure out what is right. Just take your time. Sleep on it, and think it through carefully when you know you can see it clearly both objectively and subjectively. I hope this helps. My best wishes to you.

Ken Sturgeon

Follow Ups: