Transparent Mouthpieces and Video

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ellis Wean on October 21, 2001 at 12:54:25:

Hi,
A few days ago I mentioned the availability of mpegs clips of the transparent mouthpiece (TRU-VU) video. I'd like to thank all who stopped by. The number of hits exploded. Discussing analyzing the lips has always been controversial in the brass world. I've always wanted to know what really goes on and this has always seemed the best way to find out. Certainly at the professional level, we're expected to be virtual note-production machines, as well as musicians (and a good case can be made that you can't be one without the other).

Making such a video, it was incredible to observe a common denominator for sound production: airtight seal, air compression, lip-vibration response (to keep it simple) AND to see how great players on all brass instruments implement such an amazing variation of positions for achieving this equation (common denominator = note's optimal sound) and why. I truly believe, more than ever, this is useful, if not vital knowledge.

I'll try to keep the server up (with its mpeg samples from this video - how did we live without computers?) as long as there are hits to justify running it. Since the only link to it will be from the Ebay auction, I'll have to give you the new auction number as they change. I've tried to give a couple of folks the ftp address directly, but it hasn't worked consistently. Linking from an http message to the ftp works for everyone.

Thanks again to those who've visited.
The present link is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1474891825
Which expires at 11:33:18 PDT
I'll probably post a new one soon after.

Sincerely,
Ellis Wean
Vancouver Symphony
(formerly Montreal and Buffalo)

P.S. I hadn't checked back here since posting the previous message. Thanks for the responses. Jay, sorry about the lack of response. The website had been down for a few years (apparently links to it weren't updated). There wasn't much happening with TRU-VUs. I'm trying right now to see if there's enough interest to start up again. A local repairman has expressed interest in production. That's been one of the major problems. The tuba and French horn versions were so popular there aren't any left, but I could be persuaded....

Please contact me privately. Promise I'll respond right away.

Follow Ups: