Re: Re: Re: OK, I did it - update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sorry, But... on October 22, 2001 at 18:18:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: OK, I did it - update posted by js on October 19, 2001 at 19:13:22:

Any competent scientist can tell you that failure to separate the experiment subject (i.e. the player) and the assessors ( i.e. "the listeners") makes an experiment worse than useless (because misinformation is worse than no information).
What you have done so far is to use your own experience to formulate a hypothesis (i.e. that mp weight does not affect sound or response)
This is only a hypothesis until you have conducted a proper experiment (with structered objectivity as described above). You must find a way to quantify and measure the effects that you are trying to disprove (such as using a spectrum analyser or decibel meter), then you must design an experiment that will allow you to measure this difference (or lack thereof).
Above all, it is essential that the listener does NOT know which mouthpieces are being used.
As for the objectivity/usefulness of the 3rd party judge, any science book or teacher will tell you that the subject of an experiment (the player) is the WORST person to make objective judgements about the results of the experiment.
Also, choosing multiple normal/heavy mouthpiece pairs will allow you to generalise your results, so that they are not specific to one type of mouthpiece.
I'm not trying to be harsh, but if you really want find out if it matters (which you must if you spent the cash on the heavy mp) then you could try it this way to get a more objective idea of whether it matters or not.

I'm interested in this, so I'd really like to hear more about it.

The Geek

Follow Ups: