Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Piper E-flat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on October 22, 2001 at 21:35:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Piper E-flat posted by Max Tunnell on October 22, 2001 at 20:51:55:

I understand your points, but then I will give you the background for mine.

This is not at all about the DCI use of G instruments. What you might not be aware of, is the fact, that the G tuba has popped up a very few times as a topic in a different context.

I seem to remember to have read, that Roger Bobo has had a G tuba based on a Miraphone F. One of its main purposes should have been an improved match with the trombone section in the prelude to the 3rd act of Wagner's Lohengrin.

Over a year ago I have written a posting, which I give the link to below.

There I might not be fully fair towards the dimensions of the Kanstul G euph. Still my main point stands:

As much as I love euphs and baritones, I do not consider them tubas as in "bass tuba". Only larger branches and a bell with a larger volume in the stack and in the throat will give the wealth of bass sound, that for me defines the tuba.

My idea of combining a euph valve cluster (with "pulled slides") and the branches, bow, and bell of a smaller tuba into a G tuba might very well be argued against.

I will welcome such arguments. When I am confronted with them.

Klaus

Follow Ups: