Re: Nirschel BBb 5th valve 6/4 I have ?'s!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on October 24, 2001 at 15:36:31:

In Reply to: Nirschel BBb 5th valve 6/4 I have ?'s! posted by John S on October 24, 2001 at 12:52:12:

I think Rick Denney gave you all the info you may need. As far as mouthpiece choices, the common wisdom is that smaller funnel mouthpieces work best on large piston valve instruments, the so called "American Design". This is a rather large generalization so personal experimentation is still going to yield the most accurate results for you and your tuba. Floyd Cooley uses a Conn-Helleberg 7B on his Nirschl 6/4 CC. I use a Laskey 30H on mine. Both are funnel mouthpieces of varying size. Part and parcel with the selection of a mouthpiece for this style of horn is the establishment of what may be a new approach to playing for you. For me, the most effective technique I've encountered in playing these types of horns involves a lot of focus to the sound and a high priority on putting a really pure signal into the mouthpiece. Putting huge amounts of force into the mouthpiece might not work as well for you with this horn. I think this approach is why many players using these larger 6/4 tubas are opting for smaller mouthpieces. They are easier to control. I've never seen a 6/4 Nirschl BBb so I'd be curious to see a photo if you have the capability to post one. Good luck with your new horn!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: