subwoofers and upright vs bell front

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip Jensen on October 26, 2001 at 09:48:34:

This is a spin-off of the short stroke thread below. Lew's comments on subwoofers got me thinking. I've noticed with our subwoofer that placement makes a huge difference. My preferred placement is with the opening vertical (in a corner). This give much more warmth to the bass, compared to the horizontal position. Would this really be directly analogous to bell front versus upright? This makes me wonder then could you make a bright sounded instrument (say my Holton Eb) sound even brighter (too the audience's ears that is) by pointing my bell toward the audience rather than up into the ceiling. Then also make my broad, rich sounding King BBb brighter by doing the same. So then if you want to stick out (assuming the music calls for it) one could lower their bell and when wanting to blend and provide that encompassing richness, return to the normal position. Maybe we should encourage trumpet player to lie on their backs? All jokes aside, I actually wonder what that would sound like as an audience member. Could I get a reasonable facsimile by having my tweeters point vertically too (no jokes please).

Philip

Follow Ups: