old tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Peter on October 27, 2001 at 11:44:06:

Hi,

I have just received a tuba that belonged an old player who had passed away about a year ago.

First a little backgound about myself. I am an upright bassist(jazz), and recently I met a fellow(in his seventies) at a gig I was playing, and we struck up a conversation. It turned out he plays tuba in a dixieland band. I told he that I had admired tuba players for some time, and that if I ever had the opportunity to acquire a acquire a tuba, I thought that I would like to give it a try.

Well, a few weeks went by and he phoned me and told that the widow of tuba player he had known over the years was looking to find a good home for the gentleman's tuba. His name was Earl Dupuis, and he had been a professional musician, and had played in the RCMP Band in Ottawa. I contacted her earlier this week, and arranged to pick it up today. In the meantime, I searched the net for information about tubas and discovered this bulleten board.

I really don't know too much about tubas and this one appears old, it is an Eb(or so I'm told), three valves, fairly small and lightweight, brass colored and is quite banged up. The markings on the bell read, "Perfection" Beare & Sons, Toronto, Canada. The valves seem to work ok, but there is scotch tape wrapped around the pipe exiting the third value after the bend, and one of the spit valves seems to be somewhat loose. The instrument came with two mouth pieces, one with no markings, bell shaped, pewter colored, and the other heavier , silver colored, stamped Kosikup 1 1/2EEb, B&H 1227, made in England. The second on has a more stepped shape. Both make the same note, when blown.

I have taken a crack at the instrument, and I am able to get notes out of it without too much effort, and I have noticed that it's un-valved low note is an Eb. The valves are a little dicey, but as I have no experience, I can't tell much about how well they are operating.

Cal Calvert, the gentleman who arranged all this, told me that Earl always got a nice tone from the instrument.

So there you have it. This will be my introduction to the world of the tuba. If anybody has some insight into the horn, it's origin, and age, or has any helpful information about going about the business of playing it, I would be appreciative. I am mostly an ear player, with some limited reading skills.

regards,

Peter Newsom

Follow Ups: