Re: 2155 vs 2165

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Hahs on October 31, 2001 at 09:50:37:

In Reply to: 2155 vs 2165 posted by anon on October 30, 2001 at 22:46:07:

2155. I just got mine about a week ago, and its been great from quintet to Wind Ensemble. Great big sound, but controlable enough to play in a quintet and other small ensembles. The 2165 is too big in my opinion. The PT-6 is nice, and I have played the rotary version and piston version. I don't think, however, that you can control it as well as the 2155. I can easily see a problem playing in a quintet with the PT-6, but both can play the large ensemble. As far as comparing the 56J with any of those and the Willson 3050...I've played several 56J's and from MY playing I would not want to go against a 3050 or a 2155, etc. I've heard some people play them with great tone and projection, but I still think its a great small ensemble to solo horn, but for orchestral work or large wind ensemble, its pushing, but I am sure it could be done. Anyway, if you haven't tried them all out yet, make sure you do; horns play differently for different people. If you do decide on the 2155 make sure to try several. I played mine against others, and the differences of free blowingness (is that a word??), tone, projection, intonation, are amazing. Sort of like trying on two of the same 34-30 pants...One might be perfect fitting, but the other might be cut differently enough to make it uncomfortable.

Best of Luck,
Jay Hahs
Crane School of Music, SUNY Potsdam

Follow Ups: