Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Weril 980 4/4 4-piston BBb comments/pics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 01, 2001 at 12:34:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Weril 980 4/4 4-piston BBb comments/pics posted by Dale on October 31, 2001 at 18:36:09:

My point was that school districts don't read Tubenet and don't follow the trends that seem significant to us. Our trends are pointing towards fat instruments with front-action piston valves, but none of the horns in the sub-three-grand range really fit that trend. The Jupiter comes closest.

The 321 is not that bad a horn, though it may not be in vogue right now (the same way Miraphone is not in vogue). The Werils are pretty similar to student-model Bessons of days gone by--instruments that were standard school stuff back in the fifties and sixties. I played on several--one in the all-city band, another in a college band, and one that my high-school band director gave me to save himself the trouble of carrying it out to the dumpster. They ranged from mediocre to pretty bad, and allowed me to appreciate a good horn when one finally came my way. But we still made music.

What would the choices be in that price bracket? A VMI 2103, a Jupiter 582, a Sanders, a Cerveny/Amati, or a St. Petersburg. I might take the Jupiter or the VMI over the Weril (though they are more expensive), but I'd rather have the Weril than the (new) Sanders or the St. Pete for school use. The Cerveny would depend on the instrument. Of those, only the Weril offers valves that are protected somewhat by the outer branches of the instrument.

Rick "no pffft necessary" Denney

Follow Ups: