Re: 2155 vs 2165

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micky Wrobleski on November 01, 2001 at 15:18:32:

In Reply to: 2155 vs 2165 posted by anon on October 30, 2001 at 22:46:07:

I agree with the aforementioned comments. Some things you may also want to consider. One thing being the ability level of the player. This is NOT a slam on anyone. However the gret the "idea" of a 6/4 tuba may be, one really must be at the top of his/her game in order to make one work EFFECTIVELY. Am I full of hot air? I don' think so. If we think of the tuba as what it truly is, and that's an amplifier, then we must conclude that if we do something "ok" then it's going to amplified. And that's not necessarrily a good thing. In other words, if you can articulate pretty well on a smaller tuba, the same just simply isn't going to hold true when you transfer to a larger tuba. You'll end upsounding like you have a mouth full of cotton. It's a one way street.
On a personal note, I've had some really good successes with my 2165. I've played it every where form on stage with the local orchestra here in town to the Bozza Sonatine on a brass quintet recital.
On that same note, I will say that I just picked up a new Rudolph Meinl 4/4 CC tuba (thaks to Mike Russo at the Woodwind and Brasswind!!!!) that I am head over heels in love with. And, the general consensus of my peers is the same. The reasoning for the little tuba? Think of a Sumo wrestler going to a Sock-hop. Sure, he can go, but is he the date you'd want to have? In other words, what one may "sacrifice" in having a huge sound, one will "gain" in clarity. You don't want to scare a committee in the first round of an audition, or ever, really. However, the 6/4 might me a better choice for, say, playing with the trombone section. As, again, from what I've heard, they like the smaller tuba alone, but the 6/4 makes 1) them sound better and 2) easier for them to do their job.
Ultimately, when you are deciding on "what to buy" remeber this: It's up to YOU. You need to find an instrument YOU are comfortable with, that YOU feel retains YOUR concept of sound the best. What someone has in one hall or one band or one ensemble only means that that instrument(hopefully) works for them. What you need to do is recoird all the instruments, giving them a predetermined number, then listen to the tape a few days later. AFTER you've forgotten which tuba is #1 and which tuba is #14. You may be surprised, you may not be surprised with the tuba you pick "blind". However, your ears aren't going to lie to you. Only YOU really know what YOU like. By all means, take your time. Instruments are only going to keep getting better. This is too expensive an investment to rush into.
I hope that there was some usable info here for you.

Micky Wrobleski

Follow Ups: