Re: Old F Tubas vs. New F Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on October 02, 2002 at 02:56:41:

In Reply to: Old F Tubas vs. New F Tubas posted by Non-Physicist on October 01, 2002 at 21:09:29:

I purchased an F with the clear understanding and expectation of the low note problems. It did not take me long to experience it firsthand. Since I had no intention to use the F for anything 'cept to play along with my horn playing son (he got better than my ability to transpose), I was not all that concerned. Over the years this subject continues to come up, and anymore I am wondering if the problem is not so much the horn, but our approach to the F tuba. As I play in treble cleff only (for the F tuba), I do not think so much about the stuffy C. Low G (treble cleff) plays very well without any special treatment, but is actually sounding the infamous concert C.

If I lip this note up it is almost as if there is another partial there. Almost a false tone, expecially pronounced on the "stuffy" notes. As long as I don't try and manipulate or manhandle the horn it just isn't a problem. The horn studies treat this range a bit differently than do tuba studies which may have something to do with this.

My experience is limited to a PT-10, and again I only play F on horn lit. I do wonder how much this is really a problem or do we need to accept the possibility that the weakness is in the player (if not the weakness then the solution). I have noticed that playing the F seems to have had a positive effect on the rest of my horns, so it is possible that the stuffy low range of the F is really an indication of low range problems generally and not so much the horn.

Thoughts????

Follow Ups: