Re: Re: Range

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on October 02, 2002 at 19:07:42:

In Reply to: Re: Range posted by Al again on October 02, 2002 at 18:18:15:

I am not sure if that could be true or not. THe Eb tuba depending on the model may be the most versatile "do all" tuba. I have found that my range is pretty much the same on the BBb,CC,and EEb or Eb whatever you call it. I know there are players out there that have a far greater usable register than me that might have better knowlegde of the extreme upper and lower register to know if Eb tuba has any advantages over the other keys or not. I had been working on my upper and lower register over the past year and the highest note I could eick out during a warm up only was the D an octave above the one above the staff and the lowest about F an octave below pedal F on a good day. These are just warm ups. I could never play in these registers during a performance. I found that I could reach both upper and lower notes on both my Eb tuba and my CC tuba. The range for me was the same which tells me that I am the limitimg factor not the horn. I think the Eb or F tubas have a better upper register for ease of playing the high stuff but it all comes down to the player not the horn or the key.

Follow Ups: